Grilled Lemongrass Beef from the Public Health Cookbook by the Seattle & King County Department of Public Health—original source of recipe, public domain government resource
- 2 lbs sirloin tip, cut in ⅛" thick slices
- ½ cup peeled fresh lemongrass, chopped
- ⅓ cup shallots, chopped
- 2 tablespoons Vietnamese fish sauce (otherwise known as "nuoc mam" or "nam pla")
- 1½ tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 6 medium-sized garlic cloves, smashed
- 2 serrano chiles, seeded and chopped
- low fat cooking spray
- In a food processor, combine lemongrass, shallots, fish sauce, sugar, oil, salt, garlic and chiles.
- Process for 1 minute or until smooth.
- In a small bowl, add beef and lemongrass mixture and stir to coat evenly.
- Cover bowl with plastic wrap and marinate in the refrigerator for about 2 – 3 hours.
- Prepare grill.
- Remove beef from bowl and discard extra marinade.
- Coat the grill with low fat cooking spray then grill the beef on each side for about 1 minute or until desired doneness.