Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
You don't need to head to the islands, when you can go to your grill and prepare this fantastic Chicken dinner tonight. It's quick to marinate when you use fresh citrus as the base, so the preparation time totals only about 45 minutes (if you happen to cook on a gas grill).
Today's recipe is our final offering for National Barbecue Month, as The Cook and Kitchen Staff head back indoors to select some of the best recipes sent to us this month while we finish this May with Recipes from our Members. Have you sent your recipe?
- 4 chicken breasts, (recommend skin-on and bone-in)
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 fresh limes or 1 lemon, juice of
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- ¼ cup bacon, finely diced
- ½ cup red onion, finely chopped
- ½ cup green bell pepper strips, thinly sliced
- ½ cup celery, finely chopped
- 2 cup diced canned tomatoes, (with juice)
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 tbl Worcestershire sauce
- ½ tsp dried thyme
- cooked rice of your choice
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper and marinate in lime or lemon juice for not less than 15 minutes and not longer than 2 hours.
- Prepare your grill while the chicken is marinating.
- Grill chicken over moderate heat for about 10 minutes on each side or until just cooked through.
- Remember to keep the skin on the chicken as you grill, because the skin will help keep it moist.
- You may elect to remove the skin after cooking, just prior to serving.
- Meanwhile, while the chicken is grilling, prepare the sauce: heat oil and bacon in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- When the bacon is brown, add the onion, green pepper, and celery, and saute, covering the saucepan and reducing the heat to low.
- Simmer for about 10 minutes or until everything is tender.
- Add the tomatoes, chicken stock, Worcestershire sauce, and thyme.
- Continue to simmer, uncovered, for about 10 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste, and serve with rice.