Grilled Beef Satay with Peanut Sauce from the Public Health Cookbook by the Seattle & King County Department of Public Health—original source of recipe, public domain government resource
- Serves: 4
- 1¼ lbs flank steak
- ⅓ cup light (low sodium) teriyaki sauce
- ½ teaspoon (divided) hot pepper sauce (such as tabasco sauce)
- 4 green onions, sliced in 1-inch pieces
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2 tablespoons reduced-fat peanut butter
- Prepare grill.
- Trim fat from steak and thinly slice diagonally across the grain.
- In a medium sized bowl, combine teriyaki sauce and ¼ teaspoon hot pepper sauce.
- Add the steak slices and stir to coat evenly.
- Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Thread steak slices in accordion style on skewers then alternate with green onions and bell pepper.
- Reserve marinade.
- Grill skewers until steak is slightly pink in the middle or to desired doneness.
- In a small saucepan, combine peanut butter, water, ¼ teaspoon hot pepper sauce and 2 tablespoons of the reserved marinade.
- Heat to medium-high heat and cook until heated through.
- Remove steak and vegetables from skewers and serve with peanut sauce.