Purchased from the Davidson Estate in Terrell, Texas in 1987. Notation on card indicates this was Aunt Lydia’s favorite use of green tomatoes. Canned 300 jars each summer and sold at local markets. Dated 1914.
- 1-gallon ground green tomatoes
- ½ gallon ground tart Apples
- Juice of 2 fresh lemons
- Grated rind of 2 fresh lemons
- 5 pounds Sugar
- 1-pint cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground allspice
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons salt
- ¼ pound butter
- 1 pound shelled pecans, finely sliced
- Wash and grind tomatoes and Apples, reserving juice.
- In a large pan heat tomatoes, Apples and juices.
- Drain and bring to boil then drain again.
- Add raising, Sugar, vinegar, seasonings, butter and pecans and boil for 30 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Seal hot in sterilized jars.