Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Green Beans with Mustard, Shallots and Bacon from the Public Health Recipe Cookbook, Seattle & King County Department of Public Health—original source of recipe, in the public domain
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Serves: 6
- 1 pound fresh green beans, trimmed (or one 16-ounce package frozen green beans)
- 2 slices lean bacon
- ¼ cup shallots, sliced (or, alternatively, ¼ cup sliced green onions)
- 2 teaspoons brown or grainy mustard
- salt and pepper, to taste
- In a large saucepan, heat ½ cup water to boiling and add green beans.
- Cover and cook for 10–15 minutes or until beans are crisp-tender.
- Drain into a colander then rinse beans under cold water and set aside (if using frozen beans, cook according to package directions).
- In a medium skillet, cook bacon until crisp.
- Drain bacon on paper towels then crumble pieces and set aside.
- Add shallots to bacon drippings then raise heat to medium-high and cook until tender.
- Turn heat to low then stir in the mustard, salt and pepper.
- Add green beans and toss until evenly coated.
- Serve in a platter sprinkled with crumbled bacon.