- 4 Catfish fillets, (about 6 to 8 ounces each)
- 1/3 cup cornmeal
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon Onion powder
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1/2 cup CRISCO oil
- tartar sauce, (optional)
- Rinse fish. Pat dry. Combine cornmeal, flour, salt, paprika, Onion powder and pepper on sheet of plastic wrap or wax paper.
- Combine egg and water in shallow dish or pie plate. Dip fish in egg mixture.
- Coat with cornmeal mixture.
- Heat Crisco oil to 365 °F in electric skillet or on medium-high heat in large heavy skillet. Fry fish for 5 to 7 minutes on each side or until crisp and browned. Drain on paper towels. Serve with tartar sauce, if desired.
- Note: Any firm, white-fleshed fish fillet such as Flounder, sole or cod can be cooked in the same way.
- The coating also works well on Turkey cutlets or boneless, skinless Chicken breasts.