This healthy and economical treat is reserved for your four-legged friends only! Your dog will thank you if you make a double batch. Makes about 12 large bones or 24 small ones.
- Contributed by World Recipes Y-Group
- 1¾ cup whole wheat flour
- ½ cup oatmeal
- ½ cup cornmeal
- ¼ cup liver powder (available at health food stores)
- 2 Tablespoons brewer's yeast powder
- ¼ cup bone meal powder
- 3 Tablespoons powdered milk
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 3 Tablespoons wheat germ oil (you may substitute bacon drippings)
- ½ cup water
- Preheat The Oven to 325 °F.
- In a large bowl or in the food processor, combine the flour, oatmeal, cornmeal, liver powder, brewer's yeast, bone meal, and powdered milk (may also add beef or chicken bouillon cubes).
- Stir in the eggs, oil, and water and mix thoroughly. The dough will be very stiff and dry (much like dog biscuits!)
- Remove the dough to a lightly floured surface or pastry cloth.
- Roll or pat it into a rectangle ¼ to ½ inch thick.
- Cut into bone-shaped biscuits with a small knife, or use a bone-shaped cookie cutter.
- Re-roll the leftover scraps of dough and cut into shapes until all the dough is used.
- Place on a lightly greased baking sheet and bake for 40 to 50 minutes until brown and dried through.
- Cool on a Rack.