Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Ukrainian cabbage rolls with millet
- Contributed by World Recipes Y-Group
- From the kitchen of: Oksana Rukhnitskiya, Brovary, Ukraine 1992
- 2 kg cabbage
- 250 ml millet
- 50 g salt pork
- 2 carrots
- 1 onion
- 2 tbsp flour
- 2 large eggs
- 4 tbsp tomato paste
- 8 tbsp sour cream
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 cups water — or broth as needed
- hot peppers
- salt — to taste
- Pour boiling water over a head of cabbage with the stem removed.
- Separate leaves from head and trim the veins.
- Dice the onions and carrots fine (julienne will work on the carrots) and saute until the onions are starting to brown.
- Wash the millet well, cover with water and bring to a boil.
- Strain and combine with chopped salt pork, carrot/onion mixture peppers, salt and the raw eggs.
- Mix thoroughly with your hands, then place portions of the mixture onto the cabbage leaves, roll tightly and tuck in the ends.
- As you finish rolling the cabbage rolls, put them into a Dutch oven, and add the sour cream dressing, boil thoroughly strain, salt and serve.
Sour cream dressing Edit
- Brown the flour in the butter.
- Add the tomato paste and the sour cream and some of the broth from the millet.
- Put cabbage rolls in a large baking pan, make the sour cream dressing without thinning it, cover the rolls and bake at 325°F for about an hour.