Ukrainian cabbage rolls with millet
- Contributed by World Recipes Y-Group
- From the kitchen of: Oksana Rukhnitskiya, Brovary, Ukraine 1992
- 2 kg cabbage
- 250 ml millet
- 50 g salt pork
- 2 carrots
- 1 onion
- 2 tbsp flour
- 2 large eggs
- 4 tbsp tomato paste
- 8 tbsp sour cream
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 cups water — or broth as needed
- hot peppers
- salt — to taste
- Pour boiling water over a head of cabbage with the stem removed.
- Separate leaves from head and trim the veins.
- Dice the onions and carrots fine (julienne will work on the carrots) and saute until the onions are starting to brown.
- Wash the millet well, cover with water and bring to a boil.
- Strain and combine with chopped salt pork, carrot/onion mixture peppers, salt and the raw eggs.
- Mix thoroughly with your hands, then place portions of the mixture onto the cabbage leaves, roll tightly and tuck in the ends.
- As you finish rolling the cabbage rolls, put them into a Dutch oven, and add the sour cream dressing, boil thoroughly strain, salt and serve.
Sour cream dressing Edit
- Brown the flour in the butter.
- Add the tomato paste and the sour cream and some of the broth from the millet.
- Put cabbage rolls in a large baking pan, make the sour cream dressing without thinning it, cover the rolls and bake at 325°F for about an hour.