Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
- Remove giblets and neck from Turkey; wash, and set aside.
- Wash Turkey thoroughly inside and out.
- Pat dry with towels.
- Remove any excess fat.
- Prepare your choice of dressing.
- Preheat oven to 325 °F.
- Spoon some of dressing into neck cavity of Turkey.
- Bring skin of neck over back; fasten with poultry pin.
- Spoon remaining dressing into body cavity; do not pack.
- Insert 4 or 5 poultry pins at regular intervals.
- Lace cavity closed with twine, bootlace fashion and then tie.
- Bend wing tips under body, or fasten to body with poultry pins.
- Tie ends of legs together.
- Insert meat thermometer in inside of thigh at thickest part.
- Place Turkey on rack in shallow roasting pan.
- Brush with some butter; sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Roast uncovered and brushing occasionally with remaining butter and pan drippings; about 4 ½ hours, or until meat thermometer registers 185 °F.
- Leg joint should move freely.
- When Turkey begins to turn golden, cover with a square of butter- soaked cheesecloth or a loose tent of foil, to prevent burning.
- While Turkey roasts, cook giblets and neck.
- Place Turkey on heated serving platter.
- Remove cheesecloth or foil, twine, and poultry pins.
- Let stand 20 to 30 minutes before carving.