Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Contributed by Healthy Recipes for Diabetic Friends Y-Group
- From: Diabetic Living Diet Online
- Prep Time: 45 minutes | Cook Time: 25 minutes | Rest Time: 5 minutes | Total Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
- Servings: 4
- cooking spray
- 1 lb eggplant
- ½ lb lean ground beef
- 8 oz tomato sauce with basil, garlic, and oregano
- ⅛ tsp cinnamon, ground
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- ¼ tsp salt
- dash black pepper, ground
- ½ cup fat-free milk
- ½ cup low-fat plain yogurt
- ½ cup low-fat ricotta cheese
- ⅓ cup refrigerated or frozen egg product, thawed
- Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Lightly coat a very large nonstick skillet with cooking spray; heat over medium-high heat.
- Add eggplant; cook about 6 minutes or until tender, stirring frequently. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook ground meat until browned.
- Drain off fat.
- Stir in tomato sauce and ⅛ teaspoon cinnamon.
- Bring to boiling; reduce heat.
- Simmer, uncovered, about 8 minutes or until sauce thickens, stirring occasionally.
- Divide meat mixture among 4 individual 12- to 14-ounce au gratin or baking dishes.
- Top with eggplant.
- In a small saucepan melt butter.
- Stir in the flour, salt, and pepper.
- Add milk and yogurt all at once.
- Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly; remove from heat.
- Stir in ricotta cheese.
- Stir in egg product.
- Spoon atop eggplant.
- Sprinkle lightly with additional ground cinnamon.
- Bake, uncovered, about 25 minutes or until heated through.
- Top with Parmesan, if desired.
- Let stand 5 minutes before serving.