- Boil cabbage long enough that leaves separate without tearing.
- Select 10 to 12 of the largest leaves and trim off midribs so leaves become easy to roll.
- Soak bread in water and squeeze out.
- Combine with meat and mix thouroughly.
- Cook Onion in butter until golden.
- Add with egg and salt and pepper to meat mixture.
- Divide into as many portions as there are cabbage leaves and spread evenly on leaves.
- Roll firmly, tucking edges so stuffing will not escape and secure with cotton thread, if desired. If there are not enough large leaves, use 2 small leaves.
- Slice some of the remaining cabbage and place in the bottom of a large pot.
- Arrange cabbage rolls tightly on top and add broth.
- Bring to a boil, cover and simmer over low heat for about 30 minutes.
- Arrange on hot platter, pour sauce over top and serve with hot boiled potatoes.
- Make a roux with the flour and butter.
- Add tomato paste and broth from the stuffed cabbage and stir until smooth and bubbly.
- Add salt, pepper, Sugar and paprika to taste and simmer for about 5 minutes.