This makes a large batch, but they freeze very well and make a ready snack for someone hungry for a really good donut.
- 1 cup cold mashed potatoes
- 3 cups rice flour (white, regular grind which is finer than the brown rice flour found in health food stores)
- ½ cup cornstarch or soy milk powder (not soy bean powder)
- 1 cup sugar
- 5½ teaspoons Rumford baking powder
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- 1½ cup milk (or milk substitute)
- 3 eggs
- powdered sugar
- Beat all this together or mix will by hand.
- This should be slightly stiffer than cake batter.
- Let it sit for 15–30 minutes.
- Fry ¼ cup or smaller spoonfuls of batter in hot oil, a few at a time until they are good and brown.
- Check one for doneness by breaking open the first donut to see if it is completely done.
- rice flour products are very unpleasant when they are not completely done, but get too dry if overdone.
- Drain well and roll in powdered sugar or cinnamon sugar or dip in vanilla or chocolate powdered sugar glaze.