Cinnamon and cayenne pepper give this dish a North African flavor. Want more spice? Add more cayenne pepper.
- Fruits and Veggies Matter by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control—U.S. government resource in the public domain
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Serves: 6
- 12 medium carrots (2 lbs), peeled and ends removed
- ½ Tbsp butter
- ½ Tbsp canola oil
- 2 Tbsp orange juice
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- Slice carrots to create coin-like pieces.
- Heat butter and canola oil in a skillet.
- Add carrots and sauté for 5 minutes.
- Add the rest of the ingredients.
- Cook until carrots are tender and liquid is absorbed, about 15 minutes.
- Cut carrots into pieces of the same size to cook more evenly.
- Try this recipe with other vegetables, such as squash or cabbage. Use 2 lbs or 4 cups of chopped squash or chopped cabbage.