Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
- 1 medium size chicken
- 2 l water
- 1 bunch root vegetables (2 carrots, 1 parsley root, 1 parsnip, ½ celery root, 1 leek)
- 1 pepper (Hungarian, or chili)
- 250 g rice
- 40 g oil or lard
- 1 onion
- 40 g melted butter
- fresh ground pepper
- Wash chicken and put up to cook.
- When the water boils, add cleaned roots, pepper, salt and a few peppercorns.
- Simmer until chicken is tender.
- Clean and wash rice, pour lukewarm water over it and leave to sit for 10–15 minutes; then drain.
- Put oil or lard into a fireproof dish, add finely chopped onion, cook gently to soften.
- When chicken is cooked, take it out of the broth and cut into pieces.
- Strain the broth and cut the root vegetables into cubes.
- Add rice to soften the onion, pour in ¾ l broth and cook until half soft.
- Mix cooked and cut root vegetables into rice, stir, add salt and pepper.
- Place chicken meat over rice, pour in more broth if needed.
- Bake in a preheated oven (to 175 – 200 °C) until the rice is tender and the meat is brown.
- Pour heated butter over and sprinkle with freshly ground pepper.
- With "gjuvech" serve beet root salad with horseradish, lettuce, or cucumber salad with yogurt or sour cream.