- 4 cups diced fresh rhubarb, 1 to 1¾ pounds
- 2 cups strawberries, hulled and halved
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup fresh orange juice
- 1 orange, grated zest only
- 1 lemon, grated zest only
- 2 tbsp chopped candied ginger (optional)
- kosher salt (dash)
- Combine all of the ingredients ina heavy nonreactive saucepan and stir well.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer, covered, for 10 to 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the rhubarb is tender.
- Cover and refrigerate until serving time.
- To serve warm, reheat slowly.
- If desired, serve the compote over ice cream, frozen yogurt or plain cake.