Makes 16 cookies
- 1 cup butter or margarine
- ⅔ cup packed brown sugar
- ⅔ cup dark or light corn syrup
- 4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- ¾ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp ground cloves
- 1 each beaten egg
- 1½ tsp vanilla
- miniature chocolate pieces
- Royal Icing for decorating
- In a saucepan combine butter, brown sugar, and corn syrup.
- Cook and stir over medium heat until butter is melted and sugar is dissolved.
- Pour into a large mixing bowl and cool 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine flour, cinnamon, ginger, soda, and cloves.
- Add egg and vanilla to butter mixture and mix well.
- Add the flour mixture and beat until well mixed.
- Divide the dough in half.
- Cover and chill at least 2 hours or overnight.
- To make each bear shape dough into one 1 inch ball, one ¾ inch ball, six ½ inch balls, and five ¼ inch balls.
- On an ungreased cookie sheet flatten the 1 inch ball to ½ inch thickness for body.
- Attach the ¾ inch ball for head and flatten to ½ inch.
- Attach the ½ inch balls for arms, legs, and ears.
- Arrange remaining ¼ inch balls atop ends of arms and legs for paws.
- Use chocolate pieces for eyes and navel.
- Bake in a 350°F oven for 8 to 10 minutes or until done.
- Carefully remove and cool.
- If desired, pipe on bow ties with Royal Icing.