Sufficient for one small loaf of gingerbread.
- ½ cupful sugar
- 1 egg
- ½ cupful molasses
- ½ cupful milk
- 1⅓ cupfuls flour
- ¼ cupful Crisco
- 1 teaspoonful salt
- 2 teaspoonfuls powdered ginger
- 1 teaspoonful powdered cinnamon
- ½ teaspoonful powdered cloves
- ½ teaspoonful baking soda or 2 teaspoonfuls baking powder
- Cream Crisco and sugar together, add egg well beaten, molasses, milk, soda, flour, salt, and spices.
- Mix and turn into Criscoed tin and bake in moderate oven forty minutes.