Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
This sweet dates back to the Middle Ages, when fair ladies presented the rather hard, honey-spice bread as a favor to dashing knights going into tournament battle. In those days, gingerbread was intricately shaped and decorated, sometimes with gold leaf. Today, gingerbread generally refers to one of two desserts. It c a dense, ginger-spiced cookie flavored with molasses or honey and cut into fanciful shapes (such as the popular gingerbread man). Or, particularly in the United States, it can describe a dark, moist cake flavored with molasses, ginger and other spices. This gingerbread cake is usually baked in a square pan and often topped with lemon sauce or whipped cream.
- 1 c treacle or honey
- 1/5 c butter
- 2/5 c sugar
- 1 1/2-2 c flour
- salt (according to your taste)
- 2 tsp gingerbread spices (cinnamon, clove, cardamom, ginger, and nutmeg)
- 1 egg
- 2 tsp baking powder
- Cook the treacle, sugar, and butter to boil, while stirring constantly.
- Add the gingerbread spices and cool it by beating.
- Add whisked egg and flour mixed with baking powder.
- Knead the mixture into solid dough.
- Keep it in a cool place.
- Roll the dough.
- Butter the baking sheet, mould cakes and put them on the sheet.
- Bake it in pre-heated oven.
- Serving: decorate after cooling if you wish.