- Heat molasses to boiling-point and pour over shortening.
- Add dry ingredients mixed and sifted.
- Chill thoroughly.
- Toss one-fourth of mixture on a floured board and roll as thinly as possible; shape with a small round cutter, first dipped in flour.
- Place near together on a buttered sheet and bake in a moderate oven.
- Gather up the trimmings and roll with another portion of dough.
- During rolling, the bowl containing mixture should be kept in a cool place, or it will be necessary to add more flour to dough, which makes cookies hard rather than crisp and short.