- 1 cup molasses
- ½ cup butter or shortening
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon soda
- 2 teaspoons ginger
- Heat the molasses and shortening.
- Mix and sift the dry ingredients and add to first mixture.
- Thoroughly chill, toss on lightly floured board and roll out very thin.
- Cut as desired.
- The bowl containing the remaining dough must be keep in a cool place or it will be necessary to add more flour. Excess flour will make the cookies hard and unattractive.
- Put on greased baking sheet and bake in a moderate oven (320 – 390°F) twelve to fifteen minutes.