Ginger Garlic Beef from the Public Health Cookbook by the Seattle & King County Department of Public Health—original source of recipe, public domain government resource
- Serves: 4
- 8 oz lean top round steak
- ½ cup low sodium beef broth
- 3 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
- 2½ teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 1 clove garlic, smashed
- low fat cooking spray
- 3 cups fresh broccoli florets
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 4 green onions, sliced in 1-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- Wrap steak in plastic wrap then place in a freezer for about ½ hour to partially freeze to make it easier to slice.
- Trim off any extra fat then thinly slice beef into bite-sized pieces.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the soy sauce, cornstarch, sugar, ginger and garlic then set aside.
- Spray a large skillet or wok with lowfat cooking spray then raise heat to medium-high heat.
- Add broccoli, mushrooms and green onions then stir-fry for about 4 minutes or until broccoli is crisp-tender.
- Remove vegetables from skillet and set aside.
- Add beef to skillet and stir-fry for 3 minutes or until browned on both sides.
- Stir in the soy sauce mixture then cook until thickened and bubbling.
- Add vegetables into skillet and stir together until heated through then serve.