Ginataan is a term used for anything cooked in coconut milk. Try this one yummy vegetarian dish.
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 cup thick coconut cream (first extraction)
- 1 cup thick coconut milk (second extraction)
- 8 – 10 cloves of garlic, minced
- salt to taste
- ½ cup slivered ginger
- MSG (optional)
- 1 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 1 medium green papaya, slivered thinly
- In a pan heat cooking oil and saute garlic.
- When garlic starts to turn brown, add the ginger and peppercorns and saute while pressing down to pulverize mixture.
- Saute the papaya in the pan.
- Pour in second extraction of coconut milk, salt and msg, cover and simmer 10 to 15 minutes or until papaya turns transparent.
- Add first extraction of coconut milk and simmer 5 minutes more.
- Correct seasoning.
- May serve already at this point unless you want it of thicker consistency, in which case, let it simmer on low heat until of desired consistency.