- 8 cups flour
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 ts salt
- ½ pt sour cream
- 2 cup milk (about); scalded
- 2 oz yeast
- 3 egg yolks; beaten
- ¼ lb sweet butter
- 1½ lb ground nuts
- 1 tbsp honey
- 3 egg whites
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup heavy milk or cream
- ⅓ cup sweet butter
- Dissolve yeast in about 2 teaspoons sugar and ½ cup warm water; let stand until it bubbles.
- Sift flour in large bowl and add salt and ½ cup sugar.
- In another bowl beat 3 egg yolks, 1 teaspoon vanilla and sour cream; add yeast; add scalded milk and sweet butter which was added to the milk and cooled.
- Add this to the flour bowl and knead to a soft silky dough, not sticky.
- Let rise in a greased bowl until double in bulk.
- Make sure the dough is soft as it has to stretch.
- On floured cloth roll dough to about ¼ to ½ inch in thickness; stretch gently so it won't break.
- Stretch oblong about 30 x 20 inches (use rolling pin if necessary) and fill with following filling.
- Scald milk with butter.
- In bowl add ground nuts, honey, vanilla, sugar and scant of salt (that's what it says! -km), then add scaled milk with butter.
- Mix, then add stiffly beaten egg whites.
- If thick, add a little more milk.
- Spread on dough like you would for nut roll and roll like a jelly roll (make as sweet as desired).
- Grease roasting pan 4 to 6 inches in depth and fill pan; start at one edge of pan; make a "u" shape.
- Do not cut if roll is longer; turn again.
- Brush with milk.
- Prick with knife on top for air bubbles.
- Let stand 1 hour.
- Bake at 350°F for 1 hour.
- Take out and brush with butter.
- Let cool, then flop it on a cloth and place it on a rack to cool.