Contributed by Sylvia at World Recipes Y-Group
- Original recipe yield: 1 - 9x13 inch dish
- Prep time: 2 Hrs
- Cook time: 1 Hr
- Ready in: 3 Hrs
- 3½ cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 cup warm water
- 2 cups poppy seeds
- ¾ cup white sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ cup butter, melted
- 9 apples - peeled, cored and diced
- ¾ cup heavy cream
- In a large bowl, combine flour, salt, egg and water and stir vigorously until mixture forms a dough. Turn out onto a floured surface and knead 10 minutes, until smooth and elastic. Cover and let rest 1 hour.
- Grind poppy seeds in a food processor, if desired. Combine poppy seeds, sugar and cinnamon in a medium bowl and mix well; set aside.
- Preheat oven to 400 °F (200 °C). Grease a 9x13 inch baking dish.
- Place the dough on a large work surface covered with a cotton cloth. Stretch the dough slightly to form a large rectangle.
- Pour the melted butter over the dough to moisten. Carefully stretch the dough into a large rectangle as big as your work surface will allow. The dough should be very thin and translucent.
- Sprinkle the poppy seed mixture evenly over the stretched dough.
- Distribute the apples evenly over the poppy seed mixture.
- Sprinkle with about one half of the cream. Roll each side of the dough carefully to the middle and fold the ends under the strudel. Cut the strudel in half and place the two halves side by side in the prepared dish.
- Sprinkle with the remaining cream.
- Bake in preheated oven 1 hour, until golden and apples are tender.