Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
This moist cake is brimming with apple fruitiness all topped off with a crisp almond crumble topping. It’s more of a dessert than a teatime bake, serve it warm with cream.
- Prep: 20 mins
- Cook: 1 hr 30 mins
- Serves: 12
- 175 g / 6 oz unsalted butter
- 175 g / 6 oz caster sugar
- 675 g / 1½ lb Bramley apples, cored and sliced (4 eating apples cut into wedges + 150 g blackberries)
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- 200 g / 7 oz plain flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 150 g pot soured cream
- 50 g / 2 oz unsalted butter
- 50 g / 2 oz soft brown sugar
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 75 g / 3 oz plain flour
- 50 g / 2 oz toasted flaked almonds
- Preheat the oven to 180 °C / Fan 160 °C / 350 °F / Gas Mark 4. Lightly oil and line a 20 cm spring form tin with baking parchment. Melt 25 g of the butter and sugar together in a large frying pan, add the apple slices and sauté for 3-4mins or until the apples are tender. Leave to cool.
- Make the crumble topping, melt the butter, then stir in remaining ingredients.
- Cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy, gradually add the eggs, beating well between additions. Sift over the flour and baking powder then gently fold into the mixture with the soured cream.
- Spoon two thirds of the cake mixture over the base of the tin, scatter over a third of the crumble mixture, top with the remaining cake mixture then finally scatter over the apples and remaining crumble mixture. Bake for 1hour 15mins. Cool in the tin for 10 minutes before transferring to a plate. Serve warm in wedges with more sour cream if liked.