Georgian mixed spices
- ½ cup whole black peppercorns
- ¼ cup whole coriander seeds
- ¼ cup cassia or cinnamon bark
- ¼ cup whole cloves
- ⅓ cup cumin seeds
- 2 teaspoons whole cardamom seeds
- 4 whole nutmegs
- ½ cup ground paprika
- Basically, just place all the spices except the paprika and nutmeg in a blender or adequate grinder and process until it becomes a powder. If necessary you can grind ½ cup at a time.
- Grate the nutmeg and blend this with the paprika into the spices.
- Store in an airtight jar.
- Generally in some areas, they lightly toast the spices in an oven to bring out more flavor.
- You can gain this also by putting the amount you're going to use, on a hot dry frypan and toast it for a few seconds before using.
- This not only makes the kitchen smell good, but brings out a richer flavor of any spice.
- You can also use ground spices, but using them whole is the authentic way.
- Four nutmegs come to about ¼ cup ground.
- Be careful how much nutmeg you use; it's toxic in large doses.