Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Have fishmonger skin, bone and fillet fish, reserving bones and heads for broth in which fish will be simmered. For best results, the total net weight should be about 2¼ lb
- 2 lbs ea whitefish and pike
- ½ lbs summer carp
- 4 each medium shallots (slice 3)
- 6 each large shallots (slice 4)
- 2 each celery ribs, sliced
- 4 each medium carrots, peel, slice
- 1 each medium parsnip, peel, slice
- 3 large sprigs parsley
- ¼ tsp thyme and dill
- 4 each 2" slices lemon zest
- 1 cup kosher dry white wine
- 7 cup water (more or less)
- ½ tsp nutmeg, ginger, white pepper
- ⅛ tsp cayenne pepper florets from 2 large parsley sprigs.
- 4 large eggs (1 yolk and 4 whites)
- ¼ cup cold fresh seltzer
- 3 tbsp matzo meal (or more)
- Rinse bones and heads.
- Put into wide enamel-lined heavy Dutch oven.
- Add 3 sliced onions, 4 sliced shallots, celery, carrots, parsnip, parsley, herbs and lemon zest.
- Add wine and water. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to simmering. Cover and cool for 1 hr.
- Using fine sieve, strain into large bowl. Pick out some carrot slices and set aside. Then press out juices from solids. Discard solids.
- Pour broth back into pot and set aside.
- Cut remaining onion into 1 " pieces and shallots in half.
- Place in food processor.
- Rinse fish, and check for any remaining bones. Cut fish in 2" pieces.
- Add to processor with spices, parsley and ½ the salt.
- Process 30 seconds and add 1 whole egg and 1 white.
- Let stand while whipping remaining whites until firm peaks form. Set aside.
- With processor running, pour seltzer into machine.
- Process 15 seconds, scrape mixture into large bowl.
- Sprinkle with 3 tbsp matzo meal and blend.
- Fold in beaten egg whites.
- Cover and chill in freezer for 15 minutes.
- Bring broth to boil.
- Add remaining ½ tsp salt.
- Using moistened hands and moistened spoon, shape chilled mixture into 12 ovals, lowering them into the hot broth as hey"re formed.
- Reduce heat to steady slo-boil.
- Cover and cook 45 minutes, spooning ovals with broth after they've cooked for 10 minutes. Each piece will puff up and rise to top.
- Partially uncover and cool in pot for 30 minutes
- Add reserved carrots to broth.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight; or carefully transfer each piece to container(s), pouring stock over all.
- Tightly cover and refrigerate.
- Broth will thicken when chilled.
- If you prefer jelled broth, add 1 pkg.