Fried mussels. This typical Dutch dish is popular throughout the country, although the province of Zeeland is most famous for it, having special "Musseldays" (Mosseldagen). Mussels are easy to prepare, and have a very satisfying result.
- Contributed by CorineJ 12:05, 23 Mar 2006 (PST)
- 3 kg mussels
- fresh parsley
- 1 onion
- 1 large carrot
- a few white cabbage leaves
- butter or vegetable oil
- Brush the mussels in clean water, constantly refreshing the water.
- Add the cleaned whole vegetables to the pan, add the mussels and bring to the boil (use only the water on the mussels, do not add extra water).
- Wait until they open (after about 10 minutes), take them out of the shells.
- Warning: mussels that do not open during boiling are not fresh and should not be eaten.
- Leave to drain well.
- Roll through the breadcrumbs and quickly fry in the hot oil.