Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Home-made versions of this best selling commercial snacking cake turn up in recipe collections throughout the beauce. A product of the giant Vachon bakery at St. Marie, it was launched by founder-bakers Arcade and Rose-Anna Vachon who named it for their eldest two sons Joseph and Louis and not, as some believe, after the heavyweight boxing champion, Joe Louis. Home recipes use a drop-cookie method and sometimes a marshmallow filling.
The baking cake is made automatically with a diameter of 3 ½ inches (9cm). To achieve a symmetrical look and a light texture, the recipe is adapted from one belonging to Mariette Scully Bourque of Notre Dame des Pins to the muffin tin.
- Makes:about 12 medium or 24 small muffin sized cakes
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup Sugar, granulated
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tbsp white vinegar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 cup flour, all purpose
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder, unsweetened
- 1/2 tsp -salt
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla
- Vanilla FILLING
- Chocolate ICING
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder, unsweetened
- 2 tbsp light cream, up to 3 T
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup Icing (Confectioner's) Sugar - approximate
- Grease 12 medium muffin tins or 24 small ones.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and Sugar together until fluffy. Mix in eggs.
- Measure milk into a 1 cup measure and stir in vinegar, then baking soda.
- In another bowl, sift or mix together flour, baking powder, cocoa powder and salt.
- Combine dry ingredients with butter mixture with milk; stir in vanilla.
- Fill prepared muffin tins half full of batter.
- Bake in a preheated 350f oven for about 10 minutes or until a tester inserted in centre comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes in pan. Turn out onto rack and cool completely.
- Vanilla filling
- in top of a double boiler, set over boiling water, combine egg whites, granulated sugar, salt and water.
- With an electric mixer, beat until stiff and fluffy, about 3 to 4 minutes.
- Remove from heat and beat in vanilla.
- Chocolate icing