Contributed by Healthy Recipes for Diabetic Friends Y-Group
- From: America's Everyday Diabetes Cookbook
- Yield: 8 servings
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 sweet red pepper, cut in strips
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1½ cups arborio or other short-grain rice
- 3 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- ¾ tsp salt, optional
- ¼ tsp saffron threads, crushed
- 1 lb asparagus
- ½ cup sliced unblanched almonds
- 2 hard-cooked eggs, cut in wedges
- In large deep skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat; cook red pepper, onion and garlic for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add tomatoes; cook for about 3 minutes, stirring constantly, until thickened and most of the liquid has evaporated.
- Remove from heat.
- Stir in rice to coat.
- Stir in stock, optional salt and saffron.
- Return skillet to heat; bring to boil.
- Reduce heat to low; simmer, covered, for 15 minutes or until rice is almost tender.
- Cut each asparagus spear into thirds crosswise; arrange over rice.
- Cook, covered, for 5 to 8 minutes or until rice and asparagus are tender and liquid is absorbed.
- With fork, stir in almonds.
- Serve garnished with eggs and sprinkled with pepper to taste.
Nutritional information Edit
Per serving (⅛ of recipe):
- 280 Calories | 10g Fat | 38g Carbs | 2g Fiber | 10g Protein | 297mg Sodium | 54mg Cholesterol
- Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch | 1 vegetable | ½ medium-fat meat | 1½ fat