Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Contributed by Healthy Recipes for Diabetic Friends Y-Group
- From: America's Everyday Diabetes Cookbook
- Yield: 8 servings
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 sweet red pepper, cut in strips
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1½ cups arborio or other short-grain rice
- 3 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- ¾ tsp salt, optional
- ¼ tsp saffron threads, crushed
- 1 lb asparagus
- ½ cup sliced unblanched almonds
- 2 hard-cooked eggs, cut in wedges
- In large deep skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat; cook red pepper, onion and garlic for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add tomatoes; cook for about 3 minutes, stirring constantly, until thickened and most of the liquid has evaporated.
- Remove from heat.
- Stir in rice to coat.
- Stir in stock, optional salt and saffron.
- Return skillet to heat; bring to boil.
- Reduce heat to low; simmer, covered, for 15 minutes or until rice is almost tender.
- Cut each asparagus spear into thirds crosswise; arrange over rice.
- Cook, covered, for 5 to 8 minutes or until rice and asparagus are tender and liquid is absorbed.
- With fork, stir in almonds.
- Serve garnished with eggs and sprinkled with pepper to taste.
Nutritional information Edit
Per serving (⅛ of recipe):
- 280 Calories | 10g Fat | 38g Carbs | 2g Fiber | 10g Protein | 297mg Sodium | 54mg Cholesterol
- Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch | 1 vegetable | ½ medium-fat meat | 1½ fat