Enjoy the exquisite taste of fresh summer vegetables with this burger from Claire McIntosh of Brooklyn, NY.
- 1 medium eggplant, sliced crosswise into six ¾ inch slices.
- 1 large Bermuda onion, peeled and sliced into 6 disks
- 1 large zucchini squash, sliced lengthwise into 6 strips
- 1 large yellow summer squash, sliced lengthwise into 6 strips
- 6 x ½ inch slices of beefsteak tomato
- ¾ cup virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tbsp parsley, chopped
- 1 tbsp crushed basil
- 1 tbsp oregano
- 1 tbsp rosemary
- 1 tbsp thyme
- 6 oz V-8 juice
- ⅓ cup herb-flavored wine vinegar (such as tarragon vinegar)
- 6 whole wheat pitas or 6 sliced Italian rolls
- celery salt
- Marinate the vegetables in the marinade for at least 2 hours.
- Grill vegetables on both sides over medium-hot coals until they are tender and slightly charred.
- Lightly grill the bread.
- Layer the vegetables in the bread.
- Sprinkle with celery salt.