Contributed by World Recipes Y-Group
This Y-group is international. Good food from all parts of the world. A place where we can share the wonderful food from all over the world.
- 3 to 4 lbs brust (boneless brisket)
- 2 tbsp schmaltz (oil) (I always have this in the fridge)
- 3 large carrots
- ½ lb prunes
- ½ lb dried apricots
- 1 lemon, thinly sliced
- 3 large sweet potatoes
- juice of one orange
- 5 cups boiling water
- 1½ tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tbsp flour
- Sear meat in hot fat (oil) in a Dutch oven or heavy skillet on top of the stove.
- Transfer to a roasting pan.
- Peel carrots and cut into 1-inch round slices.
- Place them around the meat.
- Add prunes, apricots and lemon slices.
- Peel sweet potatoes, cut in 1-inch slices.
- Place over meat and fruit in the roaster.
- Add orange juice to boiling water.
- Combine brown sugar and flour and add enough water to make a thin paste.
- Add this paste to the orange-juice mixture.
- Pour over the tzimmes.
- If necessary add more boiling water to bring water to the top of the tzimmes.
- Cover; bake at 400 °F for 1 hour.
- Reduce heat to 325 °F and continue baking 4½ hours.
- Uncover and bake 30 minutes longer.