Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Chicken with cashew nuts
- 2½- to 3-pound chicken, cut into 8 serving pieces
- ¼ cup peanut oil or vegetable oil
- 1 cup finely chopped onions
- ½ cup chicken stock, fresh or canned
- ½ cup fresh coconut milk made from ½ cup coarsely chopped coconut and ½ cup hot water
- 4 whole cloves
- 1 cup coarsely chopped unsalted roasted cashews
- 2 tablespoons strained fresh lime juice
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Pat the chicken completely dry with paper towels.
- In a heavy 10- to 12- inch skillet, heat the oil over moderate heat until a light haze forms above it.
- Brown the chicken in the hot oil, a few pieces at a time, starting them skin side down and turning them frequently with tongs so that they color richly on all sides.
- As it browns, transfer the chicken to a plate.
- Pour off all but a thin film of fat from the skillet and drop in the onions.
- Stirring frequently and scraping in the brown particles that cling to the bottom and sides of the pan, cook for about 5 minutes, until the onions are soft and translucent.
- Watch carefully for any sign of burning and regulate the heat accordingly.
- Add the chicken stock, coconut milk and cloves and, stirring constantly, bring to a simmer over moderate heat.
- Return the chicken and any juices that have accumulated around it to the skillet and turn them about with a spoon to coat them evenly with the onion mixture.
- Reduce the heat to its lowest point and cook partially covered for about 30 minutes.
- The chicken is done when the dark meat shows no resistance to the point of a small, sharp knife.
- Transfer the chicken to a plate with tongs or a slotted spoon and drape with foil to keep it warm.
- Pour the cooking liquid into a fine sieve set over a bowl.
- Pick out and discard the cloves and rub the onions through the sieve with the back of a large wooden spoon.
- (there should be about 1 cup of liquid; if necessary add more chicken stock or water.
- ) pour the liquid into the skillet and bring to a simmer over moderate heat.
- Stirring constantly, add the cashews, lime juice and pepper.
- Return the chicken to the pan, baste it well with the simmering sauce, and cook for a few minutes to heat the pieces of chicken through.
- Taste for seasoning and serve at once from a heated bowl or platter.
- Galinha com caju is usually accompanied by hot boiled rice.