Greek filled custard dessert. This is a very special Greek pastry.
- First make the custard: scald milk and cool to warm.
- Add sugar and farina.
- Beat 10 minutes until fluffy.
- Beat eggs separately until fluffy.
- Slowly beat some milk mixture into egg mixture on medium speed and return all egg mixture into milk mixture and blend well.
- Slowly cook mixture on low heat, stirring constantly until thick, about20 minutes.
- Cool completely and chill.
- Mixture will be thick and creamy.
- Assemble: butter 6 whole filo sheets and overlap each in a buttered 9 x 13 pan so part of filo laps over edges of pan.
- Spread on all of filling.
- Flip edges of filo over to cover filling.
- Cover with 6 more buttered filo sheets and overlap and cover as before.
- Work quickly so filo doesn't dry out.
- Score ⅔rds through filo prior to baking.
- Bake in a 350°F oven for 20 to 30 minutes or golden.
- Prepare the syrup by boiling all for 10 minutes.
- Pour hot syrup over cooled pastry.