Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Boiled crabs. This is a very seasonal modern dish using local crabs which are very tender. While crabs in city fish markets tend to be on the small side, those found on the east coast from the Gulf of Oman area, are much larger and sometimes tastier.
Crabs are in season for only four to five months of the year: the frozen variety may be substituted but the flavour may be lost in the freezing process. This dish is usually served in the evening as an hors d'oeuvre, and it is customary to eat it with the finger tips.
The shell and membranes are discarded before the legs and the body is opened and the flesh removed.
- 2 – 3 lbs (1 – 1.5 kg) crab
- 2 – 3 tablespoons salt
- 1 tablespoon turmeric
- 1 tablespoon bezar
- 2 onions chopped
- 5 whole loomi
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- Fill a large saucepan with water, add all spices and bring to the boil.
- Meanwhile, wash but do not shell the crabs.
- Add to liquid and continue boiling for 12 – 15 minutes.
- When crabs turn red they are done.
- Remove, drain and serve at room temperature.