Vegetables, singly or in combination, compose many East African stews. Frequently, legumes of some sort are one of the basic ingredients - peanuts, for instance, or dried beans. This Peanut sauce is Ugandan.
- 1 Onion, finely diced
- 2 tomatoes, peeled and finely diced
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 cup unsalted peanuts, finely ground
- 3 to 4 cups water
- salt to taste
- 1 10-ounce package frozen chopped spinach, cooked and drained
- Combine Onion and tomatoes and toss with curry powder. In a heavy stewing pan, sauté mixture in a small amount of oil until onions are yellow.
- Add nuts and water. Bring to a boil, then reduce to simmer, stirring constantly until simmering stage is reached. Continue cooking, uncovered, until nuts are well cooked.
- Season with salt to taste. At this point, if sauce is not reduced and slightly thickened, increase heat and reduce liquid until proper consistency. Mix in cooked spinach.