Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Contributed by Catsrecipes Y-Group
- Source: Old Newspaper Clipping
- 8 – 10 Servings
- 6 oz semi-sweet chocolate
- ⅓ cup cold water
- 1 tsp instant coffee powder
- 8 egg, separated
- 1 cup superfine sugar
- 2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa, about
- 3 cups slightly soften vanilla ice cream
- ½ cup heavy or whipping cream, whipped
- Heat oven to 350°F.
- Melt chocolate with water and coffee powder in top of double boiler over hot water. Stir until smooth.
- Remove from heat. Cool slightly.
- Beat egg yolks with sugar in lg bowl until fluffy.
- Stir in cooled chocolate; mix thoroughly.
- Beat egg whites until stiff but not dry; gently fold into chocolate mixture.
- Grease jellyroll pan with vegetable oil; cover with sheet of waxed paper extending 1" beyond ends of pan.
- Spread batter evenly over paper.
- Bake 17 – 18 minutes; cake will puff up and surface will have dull finish when done. Do not over bake.
- Soak layer of paper toweling in water and wring dry; place over top of cake.
- Cover with layer of dry paper toweling.
- Let stand 20 minutes. Remove paper toweling. Loosen edges of cake.
- Sprinkle top of cake with cocoa.
- Soak dishtowel in water and wring dry; stretch taut over cake and invert.
- Lift off pan and carefully peel off waxed paper.
- Roll up towel with cake inside it, along long edge. Let stand 5 minutes.
- Unroll cake and spread softened vanilla ice cream evenly over surface.
- Re-roll cake without towel; place seam-side-down on long flat platter or jellyroll board. Don't worry if cake cracks a bit.
- Using spatula or pastry tube with star tip, cover roll with whipped cream.
- Place in freezer until solid, at least 4-5 hr.
- Remove from freezer 15 minutes before serving.
- This ma be made in advance and stored in freezer in airtight plastic bag up to 2 weeks.