Peruvian Pickled Black Beans
- 2 cups dried black beans
- 2 large onions, thickly sliced
- ½ cup red wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1½ teaspoons cumin seeds, crushed
- 2 ancho chiles, seeded and crushed
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 hard-boiled eggs, chopped
- ½ cup pitted black olives, chopped
- Cook beans in lightly salted simmering water until tender, about one hour.
- Meanwhile, bring the onions to a boil in enough salted water to cover.
- As they reach a boil, remove from heat, drain, and add to a small non-reactive bowl with the vinegar.
- Heat the oil in a large, nonreactive skillet.
- Add the garlic, cumin, and ancho and stir, cooking for three minutes or so.
- Add the drained beans, onions, and vinegar, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Stir and cook for five minutes.
- Refrigerate or serve hot, garnished with chopped eggs or olives.