Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Seafood Recipes by the South Carolina Department of Agriculture, public domain government resource—original source of recipe
- 1 tsp butter
- pinch of salt
- 1½ tbsp fresh ginger, cut into a fine julienne
- 1 large shallot, thinly sliced
- juice of 4 oranges
- juice of 2 limes
- juice of 2 lemons
- corn starch
- 1 tbsp honey
- ½ tbsp butter
- Soften shallots and ginger in 1 tsp butter and add pinch of salt. Do not brown. Add juice and bring to a boil. Do not reduce heat. Lightly thicken with cornstarch and add honey and 1 tbsp butter.
- Place yolks in a flat-bottomed dish (do not use a mixing bowl).
- Stir in water, preferably using chopsticks. If you use a fork instead of chopsticks, stir lightly. #Sprinkle 1/2 cup of the flour over the liquid and chop in most of the flour, rather than stirring it in. The object is a fairly lumply, nonsmooth batter. Continue adding more flour and repeat the chopping, pushing down action. The consistency should be of a heavy whipping cream with lumps. The quantity of flour to liquid cannot be precise. If the batter seems too heavy, add more ice water.
- Dip Shad into batter to coat with a thin film. Deep fry in hot oil until golden brown.
- Serve with sticky rice, and citrus sauce on the side for dipping.