Make the Filling:
- 1 pound of lean ground Beef
- 2 large onions, diced
- 2 scallion onions, diced
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 3 hard boiled eggs
- green olives (if desired)
- Add salt to taste (Argentina food tends to use more salt)
- 1/2 cup of boiling water or broth
Finishing the Empanada:
- 1/2 cup of lard
- Prepared empanada filling
- Prepared empanada dough
- Mix the flour and lard togther.
- Mix the egg thoroughly with a fork (or a mixer).
- Stir the egg in to the flour and lard mixture. Mix it in to a dough.
- Begin to add the water slowly, one spoonful at a time. Continue until you have a soft dough.
- Knead the dough until it is soft and elasticy.
- Let the dough sit for 25-35min.
- Cook the onions until they turn brown.
- Add the ground Beef to the onions, stir until it changes color.
- Add diced scallions, paprika and boiling (broth or water).
- Stir until the food forms a thick mixture.
- Remove from fire and let cool.
- Add chopped green olives, and thinly diced hard boiled eggs.
- Heat the lard in a large iron pan or skillet.
- Roll the empanada dough out flat. This can be done on any non-wood surface.
- Cut the dough into circles, a small soup bowl can help with the cutting.
- Add 1 abundant tablespoon of filling to each circle of dough.
- You are going to close the dough around the filling. Wet the edges with water and then press with your fingers to seal the empanada.
- Place the sealed empanadas in the hot iron pan and fry until lightly browned.