- Place the eggplants in an ovenproof dish and bake preheated at 450°F until tender, about 30 minutes, turning one time after 15min on the other side.
- Set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile, sauté the onions in olive oil until they are soft but not brown.
- Add chopped green pepper and garlic: cook until the green pepper begins to soften, 10 – 15 minutes.
- Peel the baked eggplants and chop the pulp finely.
- Add to the frying pan along with chopped tomatoes, salt and pepper.
- Bring the mixture to a boil, cover and reduce the heat to low.
- Simmer for about 15 minutes.