The balsamic vinegar is cooked and reduced to a syrup consistency then drizzled over the calamari, which gives this Cajun calamari and zing!
- 2 lbs cleaned calamari, fresh, cut into ¼ inch rings,towel dried
- 1½ cups unbleached all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon fresh coarse ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 egg, lightly mixed
- 2 cups corn oil, more if needed
- 1 cup balsamic vinegar, reduced to a thick syrup
- Heat balsamic till reduced to a syrup.
- Set aside.
- Combine the flour, cumin, chile powder, garlic powder, paprika, pepper and salt in a shallow bowl.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet.
- When it is very hot, dredge the calamari in the flour mixture, shake off any excess then dip into egg then flour again and fry in the oil in batches until light-brown and crispy.
- Drain on paper towels.
- Season with salt.
- Place on a platter and drizzle with balsamic syrup.
- Serve with Remoulade Sauce.