Similar to the red-hot, baked apple pie, this golden-brown tart is made and mixed with real apples and milk, baking powder, and flour, and is instantly exceptional with other fruits or desserts even when served. Fruit juice sometimes works for this, too.
For the pastry base Edit
- oil, for frying
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon sugar, white only
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 5 cups all-purpose flour
For the filling Edit
For garnishing Edit
- confectioners' sugar, for dusting, if desired
- Mix eggs, baking powder, sugar and salt. Add oil and milk and stir well. Mix with flour, one cup at a time. Knead well until smooth.
- Divide the dough into ten pieces. Roll out each piece into a circle of dough. Place two to three heaping tablespoons of dried or fresh apple slices in center of each round.
- Fold over and crimp edges with a fork. Deep fry until golden-brown in a preheated pan of oil.
- Dust with powdered sugar, if desired. Serve hot and plain or with other desserts or fruits.