- Put meat into large narrow pot or bowl that will just hold it, leaving room for liquid (cut meat in ½ to fit if necessary).
- In medium saucepan combine onion, carrots, pepper, garlic, shallots, spice bag, cloves, spices, apple juice and water.
- Bring to boil.
- Reduce heat to simmering and cook for 3 minutes.
- Stir in wine.
- Pour over meat.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Preheat oven to 300 °F.
- Drain meat, pushing off vegetables.
- Remove and reserve spice bag.
- Strain marinade into bowl, reserving solids.
- Heat oil in heavy Dutch oven over med-hi heat.
- Meat all over; add drained vegetables.
- Stir and cook with meat until they begin to soften.
- Add reserved marinade, spice bag and tomato purée, turning meat and spooning several times with sauce.
- Cover and cook over moderate heat for 5 minutes.
- Position oven rack to lower third of oven.
- Bake 1 hr.
- Turn meat and baste.
- Repeat turning and basting 3 more times until meat is tender (3½ to 4 hrs).
- Remove pot from oven and let stand 30 minutes.
- Discard spice bag.
- Transfer meat to bowl with cover.
- Place pot over med.
- High heat and bring sauce to boil.
- Cook, uncovered, until reduced by ¼.
- Let cool; then pour into another container with tight lid.
- Refrigerate meat and sauce until well chilled.
- Cut away any congealed fat from sauce.
- Pour sauce into wide heavy-bottom saucepan.
- Heat until bubbling.
- Sprinkle with salt.
- Cut meat against grain into ¼" slices.
- Immerse in sauce and heat through.
- Arrange meat on warmed serving platter in a neat pattern.
- Spoon with some of gravy; serve remainder in gravy boat.
- Garnish platter with watercress.
Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.