Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Goat meat stew
- 4 lbs young goat (kid) meat, cut in small pieces
- 1 Seville or sour orange (citrus aurantium)
- 2 tablespoonfuls salt
- 2 teaspoonfuls crushed garlic
- 1/4 teaspoonful ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoonful oregano (ground or leaf)
- 2 tablespoonfuls cooking vinegar
- 8 to 10 very small cooking onions, peeled
- 1/4 lb cooking Bacon
- 1/4 lb cooking Ham
- 1/2 cup *1/3 cup Raisins
- 1/4 cup capers
- 1 cup olive oil
- 1 cup diced tomatoes
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 cup Spanish red peppers
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup white rum
- 1 cup red wine
- Soak the meat in sour orange juice and let stand for at least thirty minutes. Drain the sour orange juice and mix with the ingredients listed under (B). Baste the meat with the resulting paste. If possible, allow to stand in the refrigerator for several hours before cooking.
- Heat two tablespoonfuls of olive in a deep pan. When hot, add the meat slowly and turn the pieces frequently to sear all the meat surface. Add the white rum and carefully apply a match to light the rum. It should extinguish itself after a few seconds.
- Add the cooking Bacon, turning frequently. After one or two minutes, add the cooking Ham. Add the ingredients included in (C), bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low, cover and cook until the meat is tender. If necessary, add some water to assure a thick gravy. Add the red wine shortly before serving.
- Serve with white rice or, preferably, with boiled root vegetables.