Contributed by Catsrecipes Y-Group
- Source: The Dallas Morning News Recipe of the Day Mailer
- Yield: 4 portions
- 4 medium-sized fresh tomatoes
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1½ tbsp lemon juice
- ¼ tsp powdered mustard
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp sugar
- ⅛ tsp ground black pepper
- 4 cups mixture of torn baby lettuces or other bite-sized salad greens
- ½ cup crumbled goat or feta cheese or shredded mozzarella cheese (about 2 oz)
- Use tomatoes held at room temperature until fully ripe.
- Cut a thin slice from the bottom of each tomato and discard; then cut remaining tomatoes into 4 slices each; set aside.
- In a small bowl, mix oil, lemon juice, mustard, salt and sugar until well blended for dressing.
- In a medium bowl, toss greens with about tablespoon of the dressing.
- On each of 4 plates, place a bottom tomato slice; sprinkle lightly with cheese and greens, repeat layering 3 more times ending with the top tomato slice; drizzle with remaining dressing.
- Serve as an appetizer, with grilled beef or chicken, on a salad plate with cheese and fish salad, etc.