A bit of work but very well worth it. - This makes a great finale dessert to any special summertime meal.
- 6 egg whites
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ tsp cream of tartar
- 1½ cups + ¼ cup + 1 tbs sugar
- 1½ tsp + ¼ tsp vanilla
- 2 lbs of fresh peaches
- 2 tbs of fresh lemon juice
- 1 envelope unflavored gelatin
- 2 tbs water
- ¾ cup heavy cream
- In a mixer, combine egg whites, salt and cream of tartar.
- Beat until the eggs have doubled in volume.
- Add 1½ cups sugar, very slowly, being sure that the sugar is dissolved.
- Beat in 1½ tsp vanilla.
- Spoon this mixture into a buttered 8” springform pan. Make a depression in the center, about 5” wide and 1” deep.
- Place in a preheated 400 °F oven. Place the cake in the oven, close the door and shut off the heat.
- Let this meringue stay in the oven for 12 hrs. or preferably overnight. Do not open the oven door.
- The following morning, remove from the oven and run a spatula around the edges. Release the spring and very gently remove the sides. Loosen the meringue from the bottom and place on a serving plate.
- Peel and slice the peaches, sprinkle them with fresh lemon juice. Add ¼ cup sugar and gently toss.
- Soften unflavored gelatin in water.
- Place in a pan of hot water; stir until completely dissolved.
- Stir gelatin mixture into peaches, and chill in refrigerator until mixture has thickened.
- Whip heavy cream until very thick, adding 1 tbs. sugar slowly while whipping.
- Stir in ¼ tsp. vanilla into whipped cream.
- Pile the peach mixture onto the meringue; top with the vanilla whipped cream.
- Garnish with additional fresh peach slices and serve.