- Cut up onions and carrots and combine in bottom of 5 qt. Dutch oven.
- Shake some dried thyme leaves over.
- Lay meat over vegetable mixture (don't brown it or anything).
- Sprinkle some black pepper, thyme leaves and about 6 bay leaves on top of meat.
- Pour whole bottle of wine into pot - don't worry, all the alcohol evaporates.
- Bring to boil, lower to simmer and cook for about 3 hours - until meat is soft.
- This is a top of the stove recipe.
- When meat is done, remove from pot, add can of tomato paste, mix and simmer til combined.
- Return meat to pot and refrigerate overnight.
- Much easier to cut in slices next day when cold.
- Reheat to serve.