Cooking, Canadian Diabetes Association
- 4 servings
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 large onion, sliced thin
- 2 tsp flour
- ¼ cup dry white wine
- 5 cup water
- 4 tsp beef bouillon, or cubes
- freshly ground pepper
- 4 slice French bread
- 1 cup Swiss cheese, shredded
- Melt butter in large saucepan.
- Add sliced onion, cover, cook over low heat about 5 minutes until onion is tender.
- Remove lid, increase heat to high.
- Cook and stir until onions are golden.
- Reduce heat, stir in flour and wine.
- Simmer 1 minute.
- Add water and bouillon cubes.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Place bread slices in 325°F oven 5 minutes to dry.
- Pour soup into 4 heated ovenproof bowls.
- Place a slice of bread on top of each; allow bread to soak up soup, then cover with ¼ cup cheese per bowl.
- Bake at 325°F for 25 – 30 minutes until cheese is lightly browned.
Nutritional information Edit
Each 1 cup serving:
- 1 protein choice, 1½ starch, 1½ fat, 20 g carbohydrate, 11 g protein, 11 g fat (223 calories) choice