Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Very good! Easy to make.
- ¼ cup butter
- 6 medium cooking onion, sliced
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 4 cups beef broth
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 6 slices day-old French bread
- 2 cups Swiss cheese, grated
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- In large Dutch oven over medium heat, melt butter.
- Add onions and sugar.
- Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, 30 minutes or until onions are tender but not colored.
- Uncover pan, increase heat slightly and continue to cook, stirring regularly until onions are rich caramel colour (10 to 15 minutes) do not let onions burn.
- Stir in flour until well blended.
- Gradually add wine; cook, stirring constantly, until mixture boils and thickens.
- Stir in beef broth and pepper; bring to boil.
- Reduce heat to low.
- Cover and simmer 15 minutes.
- Ladle soup into 6, 1½ cups oven proof bowls.
- Top each with bread slice; sprinkle with Swiss cheese and Parmesan cheeses and paprika.
- Place bowls on jelly roll pan.
- Broil until cheese melts and bubbles.