Very good! Easy to make.
- ¼ cup butter
- 6 medium cooking onion, sliced
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 4 cups beef broth
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 6 slices day-old French bread
- 2 cups Swiss cheese, grated
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- In large Dutch oven over medium heat, melt butter.
- Add onions and sugar.
- Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, 30 minutes or until onions are tender but not colored.
- Uncover pan, increase heat slightly and continue to cook, stirring regularly until onions are rich caramel colour (10 to 15 minutes) do not let onions burn.
- Stir in flour until well blended.
- Gradually add wine; cook, stirring constantly, until mixture boils and thickens.
- Stir in beef broth and pepper; bring to boil.
- Reduce heat to low.
- Cover and simmer 15 minutes.
- Ladle soup into 6, 1½ cups oven proof bowls.
- Top each with bread slice; sprinkle with Swiss cheese and Parmesan cheeses and paprika.
- Place bowls on jelly roll pan.
- Broil until cheese melts and bubbles.